Why are you making this website or what will it do?
The website is being made to provide a centralized space online to view my work, be it a webcomic, portfolio pieces, or written work.
Who is the audience? (describe three types of people that this is for)
- Readers of webcomics
- Employers wishing to review my work
- Other artists
Write down three descriptive words/feelings that your website should evoke in a viewer (for example VICE magazine would be confrontational, riveting, edgy)
Please list three or more websites with links that inspire your design and tell us why:
- penny-arcade.com is one of the longest running webcomics. Since its inception its grown into a multimedia website offering reviews, blog posts, videos, multiple comics, events and even a charitable foundation that they promote through the site. I like its growth and innovation, while still keeping to its core webcomic format.
2. kehindewiley.com is artist kehinde wiley’s studio website. Its simplicity really forces you to view the artist’s work as if it was in a gallery. The black and white design of the site allows for this gallery feel and its modern implementation makes it easy to navigate.
3. deviantart.com is one of the best known gallery sites for artists. While I do not enjoy the amount of work shown on its main site, which feels too cluttered, the search tools are useful and well implemented. I like the community aspect of the site, where users can comment and critique work that you post. There are obvious positives and negatives to allowing comments.
Define the following vocabulary words as they pertain to web design:
- Style/motif – The overall look of your site, what it would look like to convey the words that describe the site
- Color Schemes – The basic colors you wish to use to thematically hold your website together
- Textures – The “feel” of the site, repeating patterns used in the site
- Shapes – The common shapes used; squares, circles, or triangles, hexagons, etc.
- Layout – The way in which you put the previous elements together and present it on your site